The Temporary Staff Counsel manages / resolves collection litigation; provides legal support for the collections litigation business unit; oversees or interacts with outside collections / defense counsel; provides legal advice in connection with the company's business operations; supports corporate compliance with laws and regulations governing debt collection and related activities; conducts legal research; and, assists with special projects as required.
• Create, review, direct and resolve collection litigation matters cost-effectively by working with business clients and legal support staff.
• Assist with special projects for Internal Legal or Legal Outsourcing.
• Ensure adherence to Consumer Bill of Rights by enforcing relevant company policies. Determine appropriate settlements with consumers experiencing temporary or permanent hardships and communicate with consumer and counsel to encourage financial recover.
• Maintain and enhance company reputation with courts, vendors, outside counsel, and consumers. Limit company exposure through effective advocacy on behalf of the Company in hearings, trials, and mediations. Negotiate with opposing counsel, conduct discovery and respond to discovery and prepare and attend hearings and trials.
• Provide legal advice to company to support compliance with federal, state and local laws.
Required: Master's/Advanced; JD degree from an accredited law school; California licensed
• 0 - 3+ years working experience.
• Experience with past judgement reviews.
• Advanced Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Experience with legal case management software.
• Collections experience required