San Diego, CA
The Director of Construction is responsible for the oversight of all of construction activities across its
portfolio of over 10 million square feet of industrial and office properties throughout the Western United States. Position will perform duties including managing comprehensive scopes of work for development, capital projects, and tenant
improvements; directing design consultants; cost estimating; soliciting and analyzing bids and proposals; contract
preparation and management; contractor and/or subcontractor vetting and contract negotiation; project scheduling;
document and budget management; entitlement processing; and due diligence for development and permitting. Position
will ensure that projects are managed on time and within budget and will include liaising with internal departments
as well as external consultants and contractors to ensure a coordinated effort between Customers, Asset Management and acquisitions Departments.
• Manage the construction, tenant improvement, and capital improvements process for projects.
• Prepare cost estimates and project budgets for scopes of work utilizing quantities, proposals, historical information
and general unit pricing knowledge.
• Identify capital expenditures for existing portfolio and new pursuit properties and prepare budgets and schedules;
manage budgets throughout projects using standard process.
• Prepare contractor bid packages and analyze for adherence to design, quantities, qualifications, and costs as
compared to preliminary analysis and budget.
• Coordinate and manage permits and planning, use modification, entitlement and land use approvals; attend agency
hearings and meetings required for entitlement or permit approvals.
• Provide project cost saving suggestions and manage value engineering as required.
• Oversee preparation of contracts for design and construction utilizing standardized agreements and manage review
and approval of request modifications by contractors.
• Review lease and specification documents to ensure scope of work conforms to requirements.
• Schedule and conduct construction weekly progress meetings.
• Coordinate and oversee Yardi Job management of projects, including review of payables, change orders and
• Close out projects in a timely manner to include receipt of Certificate of Occupancy, warranties, signed off permits,
lien waivers, and CM Fees.
• Travel within the West Coast area (some drive, some fly) up to 6-8 days per month.
• Supervise support staff, 3rd party contractors, construction managers and consultants, as necessary.
• Ensure documentation of construction process (including, project budget, meeting minutes, warranties, close out
documentation, Certificate of occupancy, etc.) are maintained per audit standards with support staff.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• BS degree in Construction Management or a related field preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years Construction or Real Estate based project management experience or progressive
advancement in the Construction or Real Estate industry required.
• PMP preferred, General Contracting License a plus.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, plans, surveys, safety rules, operating and
maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Proficient in using MS Office suite and MS Project for creation and maintenance of schedules.
• Highly proficient in Excel in creation and maintenance of complex workbooks.
• Highly proficient in Yardi for tracking projects, job costs, and invoice payments
• Highly proficient in Acrobat or Bluebeam PDF software for drawing markup and creation of scope
• Ability to perform takeoffs and estimates utilizing standard trade tools; engineering scale, estimating
calculator and standard units of measure.
• Ability to solicit and quantify proposals from design, contracting and service vendors and to compute rate,
ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.