Seeking Laborer for Road and Bridge Department
Monday thru Thursday 630 AM-500PM
**Must have valid drivers license with satisfactory driving record
**Position requires mandatory drug testing
Located in Milton, FL
Entry Level Position!!
Performs manual labor tasks in a wide-variety of construction and maintenance duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions are fundamental job duties. They do not include marginal tasks which are also performed but are incidental to the primary functions. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position, nor does every position allocated to the class necessarily perform every duty listed. Personal characteristics required of all employees such as honesty, industry, sobriety and the ability to get along with others, are presumed qualities and may not be listed specifically.
• Patches holes in road with asphalt or rock; rakes asphalt.
• Replaces broken timbers in wooden bridges.
• Assists others check grade stakes; maintains right-of-way clearings with chainsaw and bush cutter.
• Digs and maintains ditches with shovels; removes tree stumps.
• Installs road signs; paints center lines on pavement.
• Clears brush from roadside; removes refuse and paper from grounds; sweeps walks.
• Cuts, trims, weeds, waters and fertilizes lawn and bushes.
• Moves or assists in moving heavy and bulky objects.
• Assists in performing field maintenance and service work on equipment; washes and lubricates vehicles.
• Assists with in-shop maintenance in a labor capacity.
• Loads and unloads material from trucks and vans.
• Interacts with the public in an effective and courteous manner.
• Must demonstrate commitment to our mission, vision, values and goals and represent the County in a professional, dignified manner at all times both in actions and appearance.
• May have a role in the County’s disaster preparation and/or disaster recovery efforts, as designated in the County Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan; may be required to work before, during and/or after an emergency.
• Must be able to meet minimum attendance standards including working weekends.
• Performs related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL, VISUAL AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS:
The physical requirements are that of medium work and include exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, stretching reaching or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy items up to 50 pounds. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristic and abilities, such as above average agility or dexterity. Requires grasping by applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. Requires feeling to perceive attributes of objects such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. Requires repetitive motion of the wrists, hands and/or fingers. Required to operate a motor vehicle to perform essential job functions.
The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: operating machines, such as lathes, drill presses, power saws, and mills where the seeing job is at or within arm’s reach; performs mechanical or skilled trades tasks of a non-repetitive nature, such as carpenters, technicians, service people, plumbers, painters, mechanics, etc.
Requires the expression or exchange of ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly. Requires perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound.
The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress that require a range of safety and other precautions where conditions cannot be controlled and/or is exposed to one or more disagreeable conditions such as irate customers, outdoor weather conditions, excessive noise, extreme cold and heat temperatures, odors, dust, oils, chemicals, etc. more than 50% of the work time. The worker is subject to vibration. The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of tools used in maintenance and construction work; occupational hazards and safety precautions of the specific trades.
Required to operate lawnmower. Required to use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, chainsaws, wrenches, paint brush/rollers, etc.
Required to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent is preferred; supplemented by three (3) months of heavy manual labor; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Requires a valid driver license at the date of hire and maintain said license while employed in this position.